Wiki Specialty test

jenniferpate

Contributor
Best answers
I ahve takent he CPC course online and have taken my CPC exam but didnt pass it. I only work in Peds and have for 15 years. Do I have to pass the CPC exam first or can I just take the Specialty CPEDC test and get certify? Is there a course that I have to take in Peds only? Thanks so much for your help.

Hello! As far as I know you don't need to pass the CPC to take the specialty exams- I took my COSC ( Orthopaedics) first and just attempted my CPC. The COSC only came with a study guide, no course, but if you have taken the AAPC course then that helps! Know your guidelines and follow what the study guide says to focus on :) Good luck!

Thank you! I have taken the CPC 4 times. This past time I was 3 points away from passing. I have been a nurse in Pediatrics for 15 years but recently started coding for them about a year ago, so I though the specialty would do me better. Thanks

Hello! As far as I know you don't need to pass the CPC to take the specialty exams- I took my COSC ( Orthopaedics) first and just attempted my CPC. The COSC only came with a study guide, no course, but if you have taken the AAPC course then that helps! Know your guidelines and follow what the study guide says to focus on :) Good luck!

Hi SeannaB5! I am thinking about taking the COSC and any tips will be a great help. I know in my case I will need more than the study guide and practice test to prepare. It is unfortunate that there are no classes offered to prepare for the exam. Thank you in advance :)