Wiki Spinal fusion- would like to get

kumeena

True Blue
Best answers
I would like to get some coding tips for spinal fusion. I am so confused with the approach and the count.

Have a nice weekend

Thank you

I can help you with the counts

My surgeon makes his coding very easy, and most doctors don't dictate like he does, so I can't help you on that one.
First make sure you know the difference between interspace and vertebral segment. The segment is each vertebra. The interspace is the space between two intervertebral segments. Your codes will be counted by either. Example: MD does procedure at L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4. If you have a code that is listed by vertebral segment you would have 4. If you have a code that is listed by vertebral interspace then you have 3.
New for this year code 22633 and code 22634 see your CPT book this replaces code combo
22630 & 22612 primary code
22632 & 22614 add-on code
So this cuts down on the number of codes you will use for PLIF claims.
I hope someone puts more posts here; I'd really like to see what others are willing to share.

Maybe if you post some more specific examples and questions? In spinal surgery there are so many different scenarious. For fusions it is always per interspace, the laminectomy that is sometimes done with a fusion is sometimes per interspace, sometimes per segment. (I always bill the laminectomy per nerve root decompressed, (which usually turns out to be per segment). If this is not documented, I bill per interspace.) The majority of your fusions are going to be either anterior or posterior.

For the 22612 and 22630 when performed together effective 1/1/12 they are now combined to be CPT code 22633 and 22634 for each additional interspace