Wiki Spinal stenosis with radiculopathy/myelopathy

Best answers
I am having trouble determining which ICD-10 code(s) to report for spinal stenosis with radiculopathy and/or myelopathy. I know the coding rule states to code radiculopathy and myelopathy that is associated with a certain disc disorder should not be coded as M54.1- or G99.2, but I am not sure what other code(s) apply in this situation since there are no codes that specify stenosis with radiculopathy or myelopathy, like there are for other disc diseases with these issues such as spondylosis. Any tips are appreciated!!

Hey!

I don't know what location that stenosis is in on the spine, but I would code them separately. The spinal stenosis and then the radiculopathy.

Lumbar for example - M48061 and M5416.

Although the guidelines say not to use the M541 series if there is a certain disc disorder, stenosis is not a disc disorder. It's the narrowing of the spinal column. That is how we code it here at our Pain Management clinic.

Hope this helps!

Hey!

I don't know what location that stenosis is in on the spine, but I would code them separately. The spinal stenosis and then the radiculopathy.

Lumbar for example - M48061 and M5416.

Although the guidelines say not to use the M541 series if there is a certain disc disorder, stenosis is not a disc disorder. It's the narrowing of the spinal column. That is how we code it here at our Pain Management clinic.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much!!! I wondered if the stenosis was not a disc disorder and thought perhaps that is why there is not a "combo" code for these related disorders. I just keep seeing documentation that says spinal stenosis with either radiculopathy or myelopathy and it has been confusing me since they use the link "with." Gotta love documentation sometimes, lol!

I really appreciate the help!!