Wiki Spine coding pairs

kwebsteranalyst

Contributor
Best answers
Is is possible to bill 63047 with 63042 or 63047 with 63030 if they are performed at different levels? I have been looking over the NCCI edits and that is what I have found so far. I know a modifier would also be required to show these were separate.

Thanks,
Karla

Spine Coding Pairs

I have been trying to use this spine pair 63272 and 63048; but denies as ADD ON PROCEDURE CODE 63048 has been submitted without an appropriate primary procedure code....
Any suggestions on billing these? Thank you.. Allison

CPT® Code: 63272
Description: Laminectomy for excision of intraspinal lesion other than neoplasm, intradural; lumbar

and
CPT® Code: 63048
Description: Laminectomy, facetectomy and foraminotomy (unilateral or bilateral with decompression of spinal cord, cauda equina and/or nerve root, [eg, spinal or lateral recess stenosis]), single vertebral segment; each additional segment, cervical, thoracic, or lumbar (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

I have been trying to use this spine pair 63272 and 63048; but denies as ADD ON PROCEDURE CODE 63048 has been submitted without an appropriate primary procedure code....
Any suggestions on billing these? Thank you.. Allison

CPT® Code: 63272
Description: Laminectomy for excision of intraspinal lesion other than neoplasm, intradural; lumbar

and
CPT® Code: 63048
Description: Laminectomy, facetectomy and foraminotomy (unilateral or bilateral with decompression of spinal cord, cauda equina and/or nerve root, [eg, spinal or lateral recess stenosis]), single vertebral segment; each additional segment, cervical, thoracic, or lumbar (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

63048 can only be billed with 63045-63047, per instruction in CPT book directly under 63048.