Wiki Split/ Shared E&M Inpatient Visits

klamond

Networker
Best answers
I have researched shared visits and still can not find an answer to this. Our MD's are called for consults and F/U inpatient visits at the hospital. The hospital has hired PA's to round on the same patients and report back to the MD. They state they are both seeing the patients same day, sometimes at the same time. Shared visits state PA's have to be employed by same practice. I'm stuck. Anyone have any suggestions

As the PAs are not part of your practice, you would not be billing for any of the PA work. You would only code based on the level of service provided by your MD. This is not a split/shared visit, even if it coincidentally happens to be occurring simultaneously.
Typically, the hospital employed PAs are acting as hospitalists/IM/FP (PCP type stuff). Your physician are not legally supervising them as they are not part of your group.
I hope that helps better explain it.

As the PAs are not part of your practice, you would not be billing for any of the PA work. You would only code based on the level of service provided by your MD. This is not a split/shared visit, even if it coincidentally happens to be occurring simultaneously.
Typically, the hospital employed PAs are acting as hospitalists/IM/FP (PCP type stuff). Your physician are not legally supervising them as they are not part of your group.
I hope that helps better explain it.
Thank you for the input. Our Md's were signing off on the PA's notes so that was where I was confused since they are not employed by our practice. I appreciate the help.

Hi KLamond,
Split shares are done in the hospital settings for OP clinic or EMR owned by a facility. As example in EMR if pt seen for incoming medicine problem(ie G47.33 and E11.40) but seems pt needs beh health treatments too(F32 and R45) pt may see LCSW therapist and psychiatrist same day once referred from the EMR doctor. Or pt is psych clinic setting and does group service CPT 90853 by LCSW therapist one hour then later same day see psychiatrist. From my understanding outpt. or phys office cannot do split share, but must do incident to services. Each clinician would do a documentation of treatment = a claim for each provider. You can add modifier FS on each claim to inform the payer but they will only cover one service whoever had most time. However if it is inpatient you can have each differ medical specilaity provider treat the patient for subsquent inpt. visist .If the 2 doctors treating the patient belong to same medicine service/group you can only bill for one of the treatments.
Well hope helped a little bit more
Lady T