Wiki Split-Shared visit 'waiver' during PHE??

Birdie625

Networker
Best answers
Are there any 'waivers' for the s/s visit rules (for hospitalists-pro-fee) during the PHE? I have searched CMS, web, waivers, s/s during PHE, and not coming up with anything. Wondering if during the PHE, a waiver of such that the MD can just sign off on note w/o seeing pt. and being able to bill under their name/NPI. Otherwise, what I have is a NPP evaluating /documenting pt; and the MD just 'signing' note (under the NPPs signature). To me, that would be billed under the NPPs name/NPI; ... or ... if a PHE waiver stating that rule would be waived and MD could bill? Thanks for any help.

No, I'm not aware of any such waiver. The waiver does allow for relaxed supervision requirements of telehealth services during COVID in that these might be performed without the physical presence of the physician, but aside from that, I haven't seen anything specific to in-person hospital visits or split/shared E/M services. So you are correct, if the MD is only signing the note and not personally performing a portion of the E/M service, then it should be billed under the credentials of the NPP, just as it always has been.

Are there any 'waivers' for the s/s visit rules (for hospitalists-pro-fee) during the PHE? I have searched CMS, web, waivers, s/s during PHE, and not coming up with anything. Wondering if during the PHE, a waiver of such that the MD can just sign off on note w/o seeing pt. and being able to bill under their name/NPI. Otherwise, what I have is a NPP evaluating /documenting pt; and the MD just 'signing' note (under the NPPs signature). To me, that would be billed under the NPPs name/NPI; ... or ... if a PHE waiver stating that rule would be waived and MD could bill? Thanks for any help.
CMS pulled the guidelines for split-shared visits in May for reasons unrelated to the PHE. Here is the guidance it released: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/enf-instruction-split-shared-critical-care-052521-final.pdf