Wiki Split-thickness autograft with closure

tinaval

Networker
Best answers
Our billing office has a new group in Plastic Surgery and since I'm not familiar in this field I would like to know if someone can help me, please.

The physician is turning in procedure codes 15100 and 12031, code 12031 is bundled with 15100 unless we use a 59. I don't think this warrants a 59.

Here is the description of operation:

The size of the wound was 9 x 7 cm, the subcutaneous tissue and skin in the most distal part of the wound was closed using 4-0 vicryl and 4-0 nylon suture. The resulting wound was 6 x 8.5 cm. This was covered with the skin graft.

The donor site was marked and 0.018 mm skin graft was removed using Padgett dermatome. This was mesh to 1:1.5 size and placed and secured to the wound bed using staples. (end of procedure)

It sounds like she closed the wound to make it smaller which because it's the same site, we wouldn't be able to charge the closure, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

What area was the skin graft placed? Spilt thickness skin graft code is 15100 can code with skin preparation code 15002. Can code closure only donor site needs skin graft or local flap to close. Hope this Helps

Kim Hollins

The graft was placed on the forearm and the donor site was deltoid region. To make sure I understand correctly, we can charge 15002 with 15100? And we can only charge for the closure if the donor site needs skin graft or local flap to close?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

You would code 15100, 15002. Yes you can only charge for closure if donor site requires a skin graft or a local flap.

Your Welcome, happy to help.

Kim Hollins