Wiki Staged spinal fusion

klbecker

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Patient was scheduled for a 360 lumbar spinal fusion. On 4/25 the Dr performed an ALIF w/ bone marrow aspiration. So I billed 22558, 22851 and 38220-59 (the aspiration was taken from the iliac crest ) Unfortunately, due to time the Dr was not able to perform the posterior fusion/insturmentation on that date. The patient was scheduled to go back to OR on 5/4 for a "staged" fusion to complete the 360. Dr's description of the "staged" surgery is "percutaneous lumbar fusion" He told me he went in and placed the rod and screws. I know I use 22842 for the instrumentation. But it's an add on code. Would I bill 5/4 as 22842 w/ a 58 modifier or 22630 -52 and 22842?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thank
Kristy :confused:

staged spinal fusion

Hi just had a question because I have a case that is the exact same, has your carrier reimbursed you yet on this code or was it denied. I am sending my 22899 to Medicare and this may pose a problem for payment? thanks for any input

I have the exact same situation with a Medicare patient, too. Please let me know what you guys all find out. I will try using the 22899 also.

Good news. I did receive a payment from the primary carrier Priority Health. This was for the staged fusion billed with the unlisted code 22899-58.