Question Standard IOL with Hydrus Micro stent

19tammy75

New
Best answers
I have a glaucoma surgeon in my practice and a year ago we were advised to bill out this procedure as a Cataract removal CPT 66984 with CPT 65820 for the Hydrus Micro stent. I know did not seem correct since the Cpt Code 65820 is for a Goniotomy but had a Rep get this stuck in my providers head. Now I am told that I need to change my CPT Codes to just CPT Code 66991 IOL W/I STENT can anyone help out on this subject so I can stop getting questioned by the insurance companies about this change and make sure I am Billing this out correctly.

Hello,
I am not an expert in this specialty but my coworker and I code such procedures as 66991/89- combo. We used to code it as 66984/82 and iStent 0191T but then they combined these 2 codes into 66991- simple phaco or 66989 for complex phaco w/iStent. I am not much of a help but you can read the description of this code and it does match with procedures done. Also, there was a question about this in this forum, try to search 66991 cpt etc and you will pull out more information.

I don't know. Here is what i found in my notes: 0191T- Insertion of Hydrus trabecular bypass stent left eye (if that's what you mean). this code was deleted and now combined with phaco cataract procedures. In optum, i found 0671T-Insertion of anterior segment aqueous drainage device into the trabecular meshwork, without external reservoir, and without concomitant cataract removal, one or more- still a valid CPT.
In a past, that was a description of 0191T in OP notes-"....Next, the Hydrus trabecular bypass stent (Lot 21900049 ) was inserted into the Schlemm's canal. The stent was noted to be in good position. The head was then rotated back and remaining viscoelastic device was removed using irrigation and aspiration handpiece..." or "Hydrus inject system was introduced into anterior chamber. Hydrus were inserted into the trabecular meshwork but at half way, TM was torn. The decision was made to abort the insertion given history of CME OD..."