Wiki status post vs history

ram

New
Best answers
Pls confirm the difference that exist in coding the scenarios of 1) status post CABG; 2) Surgical History of CABG.

Pls confirm the difference that exist in coding the scenarios of 1) status post CABG; 2) Surgical History of CABG.

Status is sequelae or residual of a condition or disease, something that may affect the course of a treatment, still being monitored.

History is a code that indicates the person no longer has the condition, not receiving any treatment, but may potentially have a recurrence.

I hope this helps, it is tricky...take a look at the guidelines, both are explained in there.

thanks

thanks for the response. I expected the correct codes to be assigned. ok. let me suggest. V45.81 for status post CABG and V12.59 for history of CABG. Is this ok?

Also, you might check w/ your state quality review board or whatever it's called in your state - the entity contracted w/ Medicare to ensure correct coding. Here in Alabama it's AQAF - Alabama Quality Assurance Foundation.

AQAF has told us (facility coders) that whenever someone has had a CABG in their past - no matter the length of time - they want it coded this way:

V45.81

Hope this helps instead of muddying up the issue! :)

Status is sequelae or residual of a condition or disease, something that may affect the course of a treatment, still being monitored.

History is a code that indicates the person no longer has the condition, not receiving any treatment, but may potentially have a recurrence.

Exactly this is correct but here for the CABG status and hx CABG V45.81 is enough..I too think so, since the other code mentioned V12.59 is for the disease of circulatory system not for the procedure.

Thara L CPC H

Status is not sequela. Sequela or residual is late effects such as a scar after a laceration repair. Status is that this condition currently exists. So status of CABG means that this procedure has been performed on this patient. History of a disease of the circulatory system indicates the patient has had a heart disease but no longer has it.

Yes, sequela is not a status it's a late effect...Thanks for the correction Debra...

Thara L CPC H