Wiki sterilization during csection

LisaHanson

Best answers
58661 vs 58611 during a csection

58611 cut and burn or clip correct?

58661 remove tubes

is it correct for me to bill the 58661 with the 58510 when we physically remove the tubes from the body?

Very excited that I got to share this ACOG article twice today!!
Per ACOG, 58611 is the correct code for sterilization during a C-section even if the tubes are removed. The salpingectomy codes are to be used for disease process only.

Attachments

• ACOG coding salpingectomy for sterilization.pdf
    564 KB · Views: 9
Very excited that I got to share this ACOG article twice today!!
Per ACOG, 58611 is the correct code for sterilization during a C-section even if the tubes are removed. The salpingectomy codes are to be used for disease process only.
Just sharing the updated ACOG coding alert as of 7/2021 for Laparoscopic Salpingetomy for sterilization, above documentation was from 2016:
  1. ACOG Payment Advocacy and Policy Portal
  2. Solution home
  3. Coding Corner
  4. Gynecology Procedures

Coding Alert! Laparoscopy: Salpingectomy (Changes to CPT 58661 Recommendations)​

Lisa Satterfield
Modified on: Tue, 27 Jul, 2021 at 12:53 PM
Following a policy analysis of payer coverage and a discussion with the American Medical Association’s CPT Assistant Editorial Board and the CPT Panel’s Executive Committee, ACOG is revising recommendations for the use of CPT 58661: Laparoscopy, surgical; with removal of adnexal structures (partial or total oophorectomy and/or salpingectomy).

ACOG has determined that the evidence validates CPT 58661 for the removal of the fallopian tubes for sterilization laparoscopically, and not the previous recommendation, CPT 58670.

Therefore, ACOG is recommending that CPT 58661 is the appropriate code for the removal of the fallopian tubes for sterilization.

As always, please confirm with individual payers for prior authorization and billing.

T
Just sharing the updated ACOG coding alert as of 7/2021 for Laparoscopic Salpingetomy for sterilization, above documentation was from 2016:
  1. ACOG Payment Advocacy and Policy Portal
  2. Solution home
  3. Coding Corner
  4. Gynecology Procedures

Coding Alert! Laparoscopy: Salpingectomy (Changes to CPT 58661 Recommendations)​

Lisa Satterfield
Modified on: Tue, 27 Jul, 2021 at 12:53 PM
Following a policy analysis of payer coverage and a discussion with the American Medical Association’s CPT Assistant Editorial Board and the CPT Panel’s Executive Committee, ACOG is revising recommendations for the use of CPT 58661: Laparoscopy, surgical; with removal of adnexal structures (partial or total oophorectomy and/or salpingectomy).

ACOG has determined that the evidence validates CPT 58661 for the removal of the fallopian tubes for sterilization laparoscopically, and not the previous recommendation, CPT 58670.

Therefore, ACOG is recommending that CPT 58661 is the appropriate code for the removal of the fallopian tubes for sterilization.

As always, please confirm with individual payers for prior authorization and billing.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! A gold star for you!⭐
I had apparently missed this update and it is rather important. Especially for those of us that have been working in a specialty for many years, you sometimes know a question has been addressed in the past, and don't realize something changed more recently. I will actually check some of my older posts answering this question, which now give incorrect advice. I love learning something new.