Wiki Sternal Dehiscence

dpumford

Best answers
Hello: :eek:We have a pt who came into the ER due to Sternal dehiscence. He had a cabg out of state 3 wks ago. He is now home and will not being seeing the surgeon who did the cabg.

The remaining portion of the incision that was not already opened is opened. Multiple wires and cable that were present were cut and removed. He explored the area & debrided multiple section of the sternum. It was in multiple sections both on the right and lthe left sides. A lower portion of the sternum on the right side was completely separated from the surrounding bony structures and this was removed. There were also sections on the left side that similarly had to removed as there was no significant attachment to the surrounding structures. Next, the remaining structures were extensively debrided....

I am thinking I would code 35820 & because of the partial sternectomy I was thinking should also code 21620~

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think I would personally bill 35820 because it doesn't sound like the surgeon explored the chest cavity, he was dealing with the sternum only.

What about 21620 and 21627, they actually don't bundle.

Lisi, CPC
eharkler@nmh.org