Wiki sternum wire

Zina

Best answers
I need help coding this:

the patient had a non-healing wound of the sternum, hx of open heart surgery, it was determined to be the sternal wire. He went in and snipped off the wire above the knot that was involved in the wound cavity and bent the knot to make a smooth surface for the skin to heal. He debrided the subq tissue.

the only thing I can find is 21750. Any thoughts?

You might want to look at 21627 since he debrided the subq tissue as well, the 20670 I have wanted to use in the past but never rec'd and true feedback on the use for sternal wire removal, I thought that was used for orthopedic procedures.... 21750 is used for the actual closure of the sternum and putting the bone back together following a separation.

I would love any ideas on this as well.

Dorinda V., CPC

Sternal wire

You might want to look at 21627 since he debrided the subq tissue as well, the 20670 I have wanted to use in the past but never rec'd and true feedback on the use for sternal wire removal, I thought that was used for orthopedic procedures.... 21750 is used for the actual closure of the sternum and putting the bone back together following a separation.

I would love any ideas on this as well.

Dorinda V., CPC

I didn't suggest 21627 - Sternal debridement is because he didn't go all the way to the bone. I would use the Subq debridement codes 11042-11045.

The sternum is bone so in that sense this would be an orthopedic procedure. The CPT book gives the example of a 'buried wire' next to CPT 20670. Hope that helps you with the feedback. :)

Hi All,

My provider has done both the procedure 21627and 20680*7 on the same day.
As per CCI edit both cannot be billed together.
Also 20680 billed with 7 units.

Any one suggest me how to bill this scenario.