Wiki STOPPA procedure for bilat recurrent inguinal hernia

vkratzer

Guru
Best answers
Has anybody billed for this type of procedure? If so, what codes did you use? The Stoppa repair is a tension free type of hernia repair. It is performed by wrapping the lower part of the parietal peritoneum with prosthetic mesh and placing it at a preperitoneal level over Fruchauds myopectineal orifice.

Vicky

I have not billed for a STOPPA repair, which I understand is done as an open repair, but they say the TAPP procedure is the laproscopic equivelant to it, and I do bill those with the regular lap hernia codes. so, wouldn't you bill 49520 or 49521-with modifier 50-depending if the hernia(s) is incarcerated, or obstructed?

I was thinking the same thing, but the doctor says it is much more involved and thinks we should have another code or additional code. I suggested adding a 22 modifier. Thanks for your in put.

I was thinking the same thing, but the doctor says it is much more involved and thinks we should have another code or additional code. I suggested adding a 22 modifier. Thanks for your in put.

I wish I could find codes to use when a procedure is more difficult than other options. The 22 modifier just doesn't cut it, but I guess that's the rules. Unfortunately, it's still repair of bilateral inguinal hernias, recurrent.