Wiki Storing medical records from a legacy EHR.

samali

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am reaching out for advice or best practice information on the maintaining legacy EHR patient information. My scenario is below:

Family practice moving to a new electronic medical system. Practice is in PA. An automatic transfer of patient records is not available. However, patient formal health records can be uploaded individually. We know that we have to maintain the patient's medical records for a minimum of 10 years. We feel the patients completed medical record should be uploaded as they remain active in the practice and seen. We feel, although cumbersome to complete the upload,the patient should have their complete medical record in one location. Some feel only the last note should be uploaded. Will you provide some guidance or any PA statues or best practices regarding this?

As long as your old system remains accessible, there is no requirement for all the records to be in one location. Particularly from a clinician's perspective, it may be best for patient care. I personally would recommend uploading the records to your new system for patients who are continuing their care. Some practices do that as just large files of "here's all the previous labs", "here's all the previous office notes", etc. Some practices will properly upload each document into the appropriate category/date. Option 1 is easier for right now. Option 2 makes life easier in the long run. For a patient who will not be seen moving forward, the transfer would be pointless. Oftentimes practices going through a transition like this will hire some part time or temporary staff to do this additional administrative work.
Just don't forget you have to maintain access to your old system for the required timeframe of your state.

As long as your old system remains accessible, there is no requirement for all the records to be in one location. Particularly from a clinician's perspective, it may be best for patient care. I personally would recommend uploading the records to your new system for patients who are continuing their care. Some practices do that as just large files of "here's all the previous labs", "here's all the previous office notes", etc. Some practices will properly upload each document into the appropriate category/date. Option 1 is easier for right now. Option 2 makes life easier in the long run. For a patient who will not be seen moving forward, the transfer would be pointless. Oftentimes practices going through a transition like this will hire some part time or temporary staff to do this additional administrative work.
Just don't forget you have to maintain access to your old system for the required timeframe of your state.
That was our though, exactly. Thank you so much.