Wiki Stress echo and Ibutilide injection

Robbin109

Expert
Best answers
This patient had a stress echo in the hosp which sent her into A-FIB

MD converted her with an injection of ibutilide.

"Subsequent to the exercise and the echocardiography, the patient developed atrial fibrillation. The patient was successfully reverted to sinus rhythm after ibutilide administration."

Can he code anything for this?

Thanks for your help!

I don't really see a CPT that would describe what you need; 93623 won't really work although you can read this and see if you think it applies:

http://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-an-expert/topic/cardioversion

My other suggestion would be a 22 since afib can be life threatening and he actually did this in the middle of the SE.

"Ibutilide fumarate injection is the first antiarrhythmic drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration for acute conversion of atrial fibrillation and flutter of recent onset (up to 90 days). This drug will find its greatest use in critical care units and emergency departments. Critical care nurses monitor the patients, recognize and assist in treating adverse events, and evaluate patient outcomes. Advanced practice nurses will find this information useful for teaching patients, colleagues, and new critical care nurses."

J1742 but since in hospital they'll bill for that.

I know it's not a blk and white answer but I hope it helps. Then again, what IS black and white in our world? ha!

Julie