Wiki Stress Echos

LeaHarris

Networker
Best answers
What CPT code should I be billing for the supervision of a stress echo? Our local hospital provides the facility and equipment and the reports of the stress echos are sent to a local cardiologist for interpretation. For the past year, I have been billing the following codes for the work of my physicians who supervise the patient during the stress echo:

93350-26

I received a call today from the cardiologist that his office is not being paid because we are billing the code that they should be reporting. The cardiologist office states that the hospital (who provides the equipment) bills 93350-TC and the cardiologist should bill 93350-26 for interpretation of the report. What does this leave for my office to report? Can I report 93351 for supervision by a physician of a stress echo? Or is the only code I can report is the 93016 for interpretation of the EKG portion of the test?

Thank you!

@ LeaHarris

if your provider does supervise for the stress echo you would code 93351,26 only. According to NCCI 93016 and 93018 not allowed coded together. if a stress echo with a doppler echo complete, then you would code 93320,26 and 93325,26 as well with the 93351,26.

I don't believe the previous response is accurate. 93016 is for supervision of the stress portion of the test, 93018 is for the interpretation, if your provider is doing that - there is no NCCI that says you can't bill 93016 and 93018. You would not bill separately for the interpretation of the EKG since that is a component. Any of the codes with the 26 would be billed by the provider doing the interpretation and report of those components.

Last edited: