Wiki Struggling to get a medical coding position for the last 9 months!

Best answers
I got my CPC-A in August of 2022. I have applied to 75 +jobs on indeed, 50 + jobs on zip recruiter, a handful on LinkedIn, a bunch through main company websites like hospitals and insurance companies and NOTHING. It's extremely FRUSTRATING. I wish I would have known how hard it is to land a coding position! I ended up taking a job in billing, because I thought it would help me get my foot into back-end healthcare admin. I don't really care too much for billing, but it's getting the bills paid until I can finally land a coding job. It's been 9 months, and I'm still paying my student loan and not working my dream job! Does anybody have any feedback or advice to give?

It can be difficult to find a coding job with a CPC-A. Coding jobs are difficult for even seasoned coders to find. You are doing correct steps in getting a billing job, you can get your "A" removed after a year on the job plus any other means to remove (practicode, etc). There are companies that do hire CPC-A, make sure you are on all the coding job pages on Facebook, the AAPC facebook, AAPC LinkedIn page for jobs, as well as your AAPC portal, which also has job opportunities. Many people submit hundreds and hundreds of applications but many do end up finding their entry level coding job.
Don't discount billing, that is how I started and you will learn so much and have a more varied skillset knowing billing and coding. Good luck!

Not to discourage you but I first got certified in medical coding back in 2012. I also applied for numerous jobs everywhere with everyone. I took a surgery admitting job to get my foot in the door in healthcare. I have been with the same company for 10 years and am happy to say I finally start my first medical coding job next month. To be fair once I started here I only applied to the same company. Everyone’s path is different. If coding is truly what you want, don’t get discouraged, it will happen. Good luck !

Rtillman,
Have you physically dressed professional then went face to face to the hospital, medical centers, insurance company, EMS biller or clearinghouses personnel department in your area? I d fill in app online, print it out, with resume and cover letter..then disburse them by going to human resources office. Or mail these copies to the directly to coding manager. Or find out where local AAPC meeting in your area or network by attending meeting. I hope these tips work for you. I did this 2 times and got jobs within the week. Online job seeking is tedious and it is slow. Also you could go to unemployment office in your area then talk to someone at that local office.
Well hope these tips help you
Lady T

I am struggling also, applied to many places and nothing, I even have years of experience in coding and billing. It is discouraging. I guess we keep up with our CEU'S and keep looking.

I am struggling also, applied to many places and nothing, I even have years of experience in coding and billing. It is discouraging. I guess we keep up with our CEU'S and keep looking.
The overwhelming majority of complaints about not being able to find a coding job are from CPC-As or those without experience, as not all employers will consider CPC-A candidates or those without experience.
If you have your full CPC and experience but no one is contacting you for interviews, I suggest taking a good hard look at your resume. It's likely something on there is either not getting your resume through a computerized screening, or when a human does look at it, there is an issue. You may even want to consider having it professionally done.
When you are actively looking, you do need to actively look. Apply to new posts. Many companies keep a posting up for a specified amount of time, even after they've completed interviews or found a hire. Networking (current and former employers and coworkers, AAPC chapter, friends, even your own physician's office, etc.) can be a huge boost. Willing to work onsite or hybrid (at least to me) also can set a candidate above others. Good luck!

I got my CPC-A in August of 2022. I have applied to 75 +jobs on indeed, 50 + jobs on zip recruiter, a handful on LinkedIn, a bunch through main company websites like hospitals and insurance companies and NOTHING. It's extremely FRUSTRATING. I wish I would have known how hard it is to land a coding position! I ended up taking a job in billing, because I thought it would help me get my foot into back-end healthcare admin. I don't really care too much for billing, but it's getting the bills paid until I can finally land a coding job. It's been 9 months, and I'm still paying my student loan and not working my dream job! Does anybody have any feedback or advice to giv
I got my CPC-A in August of 2022. I have applied to 75 +jobs on indeed, 50 + jobs on zip recruiter, a handful on LinkedIn, a bunch through main company websites like hospitals and insurance companies and NOTHING. It's extremely FRUSTRATING. I wish I would have known how hard it is to land a coding position! I ended up taking a job in billing, because I thought it would help me get my foot into back-end healthcare admin. I don't really care too much for billing, but it's getting the bills paid until I can finally land a coding job. It's been 9 months, and I'm still paying my student loan and not working my dream job! Does anybody have any feedback or advice to give?
Once your A is removed from your credential which can be done usually after a year of working in billing (if you do anything code related) I'm sure that you will have a lot of more options. Best of luck!!

Ditto to what Julesmit said. Passed CPC May 2022 and took me 2.5 months to find a medical billing job. I've been a licensed aesthetician for 17 years and had zero office or medical experience. I wasn't a fan of the job but willing to pay my dues. Good luck!!! Also, although practicode might be the last thing you want to hear....my friend got a coding job right away after completing practicode. I'm considering it myself!

Ditto to what Julesmit said. Passed CPC May 2022 and took me 2.5 months to find a medical billing job. I've been a licensed aesthetician for 17 years and had zero office or medical experience. I wasn't a fan of the job but willing to pay my dues. Good luck!!! Also, although practicode might be the last thing you want to hear....my friend got a coding job right away after completing practicode. I'm considering it myself!
Did your friend put the Practicode completion on their resume? Just wondering how it helped to get the job? I just got my CPC-A in March 2023 and am changing careers with no current experience. I am beginning Practicode now.

I am in the same position, except my background is health insurance: provider contracting and credentialing, member services (which taught me the issues that happen with incorrect billing) and even some claims processing. Still can’t find a job, and it is really frustrating.