Wiki Student medical billing and coding

Tracy1294

Best answers
Hi, my name is Tracy Nixon and I'm a student at the college of wilmington. I will need to complete an externship for two weeks from 8-1 at any medical office. Does anyone know of somewhere that will take students for billing and coding? Please let me know if anyone can help me with this! Thanks in advance!

I do not know your area but what I tell my students to go with what they know. Where do you go to the doctors? What about friends and family members? Start there. Wear your most professional attire (no jeans, not too much jewelry/piercing etc...) and visit their offices at what time is the slowest for them, not the busiest. Call ahead and ask if you will be able to speak to the office manager. Bring at least one coding book with you and put a resume together no matter how brief. If one of your teachers can write you a letter of introduction or reference bring several copies of that to be able to give out. Go to a Medical Professional Building and hit every office that is a physician's office. Even a supply company such as wheel chairs and other DME type sales office sometimes has billing coders on site. Be willing to work flexible hours and PLEASE put your cell phone AWAY! :)