Wiki Student Seeking Advice

Best answers
I'm a current student of a medical coding program and looking for any and all advice on 1) the CPC certification exam and 2) finding work with NO coding experience.

I have a B.S. in chemistry/biology, but life took a turn and here I am in coding. I know health care is my calling, but not so much the patient care (make sense?). I plan to take the CPC exam this summer, and I am currently completing a virtual practicum for coding using the CPC certification study guide. I also plan to purchase the 3 practice exams offered on the website.

My previous intention of becoming a provider versus a supportive role is why I have no experience in real life medical coding. In most situations the first question is "what's your experience in medical coding?" which I have to answer none. I have considered calling my primary care provider and/or chiropractor to ask if I could "shadow" the person responsible for coding for a day or more. Though I'm not sure the liability that lies within such a request. Any advice to help convince them that I will exercise the highest level of confidentiality?

If anyone has resources and/or networking advice please let me know! I appreciate your time!

Hi Mary,

Often times, private practice billing positions do not require experience. This could be your foot in the door, especially if they see you have a CPC. If you are looking for a job more in the hospital or certain facilities, yes they may require experience but how about asking for an internship? Internships count as experience and they is a very high rate of employment through internships. Just a thought...

Just for a boost of confidence, I started out in an orthopedic billing office with zero experience coming from the music education world. I spend 2 years there before getting my CPC and took the path into a hospital setting. I becoming increasingly interested in auditing and compliance and I am now the manager of Internal Audit of 2 big hospitals in the NY area 5 years later.

Good luck and don't hesitate ask contact me if you have more questions.

Andrew

New coder positions

Many times my students will start in a "coding related" field such as insurance verification or claim management and then within six months they have advanced to coders. Also locally, our hospital has a large volunteer program and the students volunteer during their school time, after graduation they have some health related experience to place on their resume.

All of these are great suggestions in addition make sure that you highlight what you do know I was able to get a coding job right out of school because I accentuated my history in anatomy and physiology. I also started out thinking I wanted to do the treating but decided I was much better off behind the scenes. Good Luck

New Coder

If it is possible you might want to start working throught a temporary services to get the experience, because there are some places that will take coders with little to no experience. Good luck and best wishes.

You may need to start with an "entry level" position, and get some experience under your belt that way. Observe, learn, implement. Once you've worked in a coding/billing position your resume will be viewed much more favorably.

Good luck! 20 years on I love it!

I'm kind've in the same situation

I retired from 25 years of school teaching. I wanted to keep on doing something, so I enrolled on an on-line course for medical coding. Well, it's been almost 2 years. I've received a certificate in medical billing and coding - plus received my Associate's Degree in Billing and Coding. As a student I earned 4.0.
I'm just interested in some type of work to keep me busy - and thought coding would fill the gap. I also need advice. By the way, I've taken the CPC Test 2 times - first time, 60%, second time 63%. To pass, I need a 70%. I'm frustrated, but don't want to give in.
I'm looking for someone to help me out.

Judy

Best piece of advice: If this is your passion, don't give up! =).

When you realize that being a coder is your passion, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Also keep in mind that when you pass the exam, you can use your certification for a number of career positions: education, auditing, payers, compliance, and research are just a few of the areas.

It can be frustrating, but what career isn't? It wasn't promised to be easy. A career in coding (or some aspect of) is very rewarding! Things are always changing and evolving, so many areas with room for growth and learning.

I started my career being a dispatcher with an ambulance service when I was recruited by the billing department to "follow up on claims." From there I moved up to posting payments, then assistant billing manager with that company. Twelve (and many jobs) years later I'm a remote coder for an ambulatory surgery center. I love my career!

Don't give up, that's the best advice I can give. Apply to be a coder first and foremost if that is your passion;however, if this doesn't come through soon enough for you apply to be a biller, follow up clerk, medical records clerk, receptionist..whatever it takes.

Also, become involved with your local chapter! The networking and job opportunities available to you through your chapter will likely land you somewhere awesome!

I hope this helps you all in some way? I'm always available to help!