Wiki studying for cpc

cole154mans

Best answers
I am studying now for the cpc exam and I am having trouble with the medical cases. I am having trouble pointing out important points of the case that need to be coded .:confused::confused:

What are they asking? If you are not sure go to the answers read each code. It should make you understand what they want. If you know how to code you should be able to figure it out. If not you will come close. If it is wrong check the answer after test is completed. Take the correct answer and work backwards. Go over it until you know how they came up with the answer. Lights should come on after that. It did for me. I had forgot so many things ---i was ill and away from codes for 5-6 months. I used this method and I am doing okay now. I just have to pick up speed::eek:

Remember that they're trying to see if you understand the CONCEPT they're going for. If it's an office visit with a procedure, check to see if the modifier is there for the e/m, etc. Look to see if some procedures are actually part of a larger procedure they're doing (look at the CPT descriptor). If they are, you only code the final procedure. Remember, too, that if a procedure starts as exploratory/diagnostic but they find something, you no longer would code the diagnostic.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Kellie