• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Suggestions for getting my foot in the door?

Best answers
Hello,
I recently taken and passed a medical coding and billing course at a community college. I am taking the cpc exam in 2 weeks (hopefully I'll pass). My long term goal career wise is to work from home however I feel that I should gain some experience before doing that. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do now and after I pass my exam to Obtain a medical coding position? Anything, tips, advice, warnings is helpful.
Thanks a bunch!

roeslerje

Networker
Best answers
Consider jobs in billing or insurance follow-up as well as coding. Get involved with your local chapter -- they often have an inside scoop on job openings. No matter where you work, do the best job possible. I recently received a job offer from the first office I worked (doing insurance follow-up) to come back as an auditor, based largely on a recommendation from my very first supervisor.

Also, I see a lot of people who blanket the city with resumes (applying for 50 jobs or so at a time), but I've always applied for just a few positions and really kept my search focused. It would be a shame to get a call from someone and not know exactly which company he/she is representing. But that's just what works best for me.

Good luck!