Wiki Suicidal Ideation and Depression

lleach

New
Best answers
Hi,

I was wondering what the thoughts of coding Suicidal Ideation with Depression. If a client is admitted to Inpatient for Suicidal Ideation and the client is diagnosed with Depression, do you code both? The SI is a sign/symptom of the depression, however, the SI is why the client has been admitted. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Hello,

I also do inpatient coding, when we have patients with SI and they are diagnosis with a depressive disorder (such as MDD) we code the MDD only (F32.9). The code R45.851 for Suicidal Ideation is a symptom. Remember as per our guidelines for the selection of the principal diagnosis, the principal is defined as "that condition established after study to be chiefly responsible for occasioning the admission of the patient to the hospital for care." So after study, the SI is due to depression.

I always use for reference on symptoms the Merck Manuals which is free. Below is the link where they mention suicidal thoughts being a symptom for depressive disorders.

https://www.merckmanuals.com/profes.../mood-disorders/depressive-disorders#v1028038

hope this helps!