Suicide attempt diagnosis

Best answers
I am coding the profee side for inpatient behavioral health. I have one provider who list suicide attempt as resolved on every note but the discharge summary and of course I cannot code resolved diagnoses. Has anyone else been seeing providers mark a diagnosis as resolved on every note but the discharge summary even though that was the reason for admission. If so, how do you handle these situations? I am skeptical on just coding the suicide attempt on the discharge summary and I don't agree with it being marked as resolved on the initial note since that is why the patient was brought here...thoughts?

SharonCollachi

True Blue
Best answers
A suicide attempt is an action. How can that action be "resolved"? It happened, and you cannot un-happen it. Maybe the depression (or whatever symptom causing it) has resolved, but not the attempt itself.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
Maybe the provider is trying (unsuccessfully) to communicate that it is not an active problem, but rather history of. I would consider Z91.5 instead of T14.91A/D/S.
If I had to make a guess from past experiences, this is occurring because the provider does not know the best way to use the EHR system. I would make an attempt to educate the provider, or put them in touch with the right people.