Wiki Sunscreen reaction

grabow

Networker
Best answers
Looking at the ICD-9 and searching online I am not finding a definitive answer to code for allergic reaction to sunscreen.

I am in the 'Dermatitis Due To' section...looking at drugs and medicines properly administered, external 692.3...looking at cosmetics 692.81

Any suggestions?

I think 995.27, allergic reaction to drug, medicinal substance, and biological (any) (correct medicinal substance properly administered) (external) (internal), would be a more specific code for "allergic reaction to sunscreen".

Okay, but as it is a skin reaction, shouldn't I go there?

Allergy, Skin Reaction, Specified Substance.

Then I am directed to Dermatitis, due to

Does the documentation say/ support a "skin reaction"? If word for word documentation is "allergic reaction to sunscreen", I would use 995.27. That's just me.
When I look at the Tabular List for the 692 code range, in the inclusions/exclusions, nowhere in the inclusions does it say "allergic reaction" but the exclusions does state allergy NOS. So I'd go to the 995 code range unless the documentation supports otherwise.

It is a contact dermatitis so the 692 is the appropriate category with the E code E946.3, I think either the 692.3 or the 692.4 the exclude note under the 692 applies to ingested drugs.