Wiki Surgeon takes ill

JEYCPC

Expert
Best answers
A surgeon takes ill after docking the robot for a lap procedure. Another surgeon replaces the ill doc at the console. How does one code for this? Modifiers? 62 for co-surgeons (same specialty)? 52 for the both surgeons? Just curious what y'all come up with. :rolleyes:

hmmm......

"A surgeon takes ill after docking the robot for a lap procedure. Another surgeon replaces the ill doc at the console. How does one code for this? Modifiers? "

This is a great question. I do want to know more about this case before adding a modifier.

1. Is the docking of the robot at the very beginning of the procedure?
2. Did the first surgeon actually do any part of the surgery before he/she left the case ill?
3. Is this other surgeon a qualified resident surgeon? Or assistant surgeon?

If the first surgeon docked the robot, but was not part of the main procedure, I honestly don't know if we could code this. It seems we would just code for the second surgeon who did the procedure. But, if this docking of the robot was done part-way through the procedure or towards the end of the procedure, would go with modifier -22 reduced services, and, depending on the answer to question #3 above, might even consider modifier -82 Assistant Surgeon (when qualified resident surgeon not available): "The unavailability of a qualified resident surgeon is a prerequisite for the use of modifier 82 appended to the usual procedure code number(s)."

Surgeon #1: #####-22
Surgeon #2: #####-82

Good question! I'm not really sure about this!

- Jacob

I would need to see the op notes to make a firm call on this but I think you could do this with a 62 modifier if both surgeons billed the same procedure code and both had op notes indicating where doc A stopped and then Doc B indicating where he picked it up. Having said this , it will most likely be denied if this is a procedure that is not normal to be performed with co-surgeons. So before you bill for Doc B or A request a copy of the other ones note so that you are prepared to appeal it.

I have reports from both Docs. Doc A docked the robot (at the beginning of the procedure) and did start the procedure. Then Doc B took over. Both reports mention Doc C was in attendance throughout the whole procedure but did not dictate notes or it seems participate in the procedure. I don't think residents enter into the equation.