Wiki surgeries

parker777

Contributor
Best answers
I have a question regarding general surgery procedures. When performing laproscopic procedures, ex. LT inguinal repair, initial, can you also use CPT code 49400, injection of air or contrast into peritoneal cavity? Thanks for any replies!

Cannot post post-op report due to HIPPA regulations but would like for you to elaborate as to what I need to be looking for in the post op note. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
You could post the op report without the patient or doctor's personal info. Just post the procedures done.

Last edited:
Post a scrubbed note

Cannot post post-op report due to HIPPA regulations but would like for you to elaborate as to what I need to be looking for in the post op note. Thanks for your reply!

Delete any reference to patient identifiers, including name of physicians or hospital/facility, and included the BODY of the operative note.

Please see the General Surgery forum for many examples of scrubbed op notes.

We really cannot give you an accurate response on a surgical coding question without seeing the note.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I have a question regarding general surgery procedures. When performing laproscopic procedures, ex. LT inguinal repair, initial, can you also use CPT code 49400, injection of air or contrast into peritoneal cavity? Thanks for any replies!

It does depend on the documentation, but taking a simple approach to your question, if you look up Lap Inguinal repair 49650 and check the CCI edits it shows you can bill 49400 Injection of air or contrast into the perineal cavity with the 49650. Now the description states that when doing such an injection it is generally followed by an x-ray to check the pattern of the air or contrast in the cavity. Whether or not this whole procedure is covered would depend on the medical necessity and the documentation.