Wiki suture removal-If a patient

TLC

Guru
Best answers
If a patient comes in for suture removal for just a simple laceration or biopsy with no "global" period. Can the doctors charge and ov and a copay? Thanks

I am not sure if there is a laceration repair or biopsy without a global period. I do know that if your doctor (office) does not do the biopsy and/or laceration repair you can charge an OV for the removal of the sutures. Our office usually charges 99212 if there are no complications with the removal and possible a higher level if there were problems with removing the sutures.

suture removal

When we do a "no global" procedure on a patient and they come back the next day or two and have sutures removed we bill 99024 with V58.32. Suture removal is included in the surgical package. If the procedure was done somewhere else then we usually charge 99211 because this is done by the RN under the provider's supervision. If the provider has to see the patient for any reason then we will charge the appropriate level.

The simple repairs (12001-12018) do not have a global period. The RVU's were reduced when the 10 day global period was removed from each procedure code. As a result, less reimbursement. You could charge for a suture removal for this code range since these have been modified. I would make it a modest fee so that the patient isn't burdened with too much of an additional expense.