Wiki Sutures removed past the post op period

christy0708

Contributor
Best answers
I have a question. Let's say a patient has a cyst removed and sutures are put in. For some unknown reason, the appointment for the removal of these sutures occurs outside the 10 day global period. For the documentation, my physician does do an exam on this patient and his nurse removes the sutures. Would this visit be considered to be a "post op/no charge visit", or would it be considered a billable service 99212ish? I have heard it both ways, and I would really appreciate any documentation that anyone may have. Thank you

Suture removal included

The physician was paid for the removal of sutures when s/he was paid for putting them in (i.e. it's included in the reimbursement for the primary procedure).

Now, I realize it is a bad idea to assume anything, but I AM asuming that when you say "outside the 10-day global period" you don't mean a month or more after the procedure, but just a few days beyond the 10-day period.

If you couldn't get the patient back in the office within 10 days due to scheduling difficulties, I would still code this as a 99024, global post-op visit.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC