Wiki Taking a coding class and need help, please.

lmcder1029

Best answers
Hi everyone. I'd really appreciate is someone could help me. In my Next Step Advanced Coding textbook, we are on the Pathology & Laboratory chapter and the case I am stuck on is:

A confirmation of the drug screen is conducted when Martin's tests come back positive for cocaine.

I have the Service Code as : 80102

ICD-10-CM Dx: F14.90

ICD-9-CM Dx: 305.60

Is this correct? Thank you for any help. :)

Lori

Hi everyone. I'd really appreciate is someone could help me. In my Next Step Advanced Coding textbook, we are on the Pathology & Laboratory chapter and the case I am stuck on is:

A confirmation of the drug screen is conducted when Martin's tests come back positive for cocaine.

I have the Service Code as : 80102

ICD-10-CM Dx: F14.90

ICD-9-CM Dx: 305.60

Is this correct? Thank you for any help. :)

Lori
I would not use those codes without provider documentation that the patient is a cocaine user or abuser. Having a positive drug screen is not the same thing. If the patient had no symptoms and it was ordered as a screening, then I would use Z04.8 which is where the alpha takes you for drug screen. It is a first listed only code. Unfortunately there us no exact duplicate for this code in ICD-9 but the suggested code is V68.2. I would hesitate to pin that designation to a patient without further information. The text book however may agree with your picks, however you coded cocaine abuse in ICD-9 but cocaine use in ICD-10. If the patient abuses cocaine now then it will be abuse with ICD-10.

Thank you

Thank you very much for the help. The class is completely online and it takes the professor days to respond so I rarely get feedback to a question in time to take an exam. I really appreciate the feedback and the explanation.

Lori