Wiki Taking The CPC

obfeagan

Best answers
Taking The CPC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the CPC back in 2005 and was no where near prepared for it. I dedcied to retake it this year since I have been in the medical field forever. I take the test December 13, 2008 does anyone has any pointers for me I am on edge and pray that I pass this time since I have had plenty of time to study. How was the test this time? When I took it it was alot of reading as far as the op notes were concern. HELP with information to help me prepare as much as possible.........

Oronda

I did what my coworker told me to do. Go thru and answer all the questions you can and save the harder ones for last. Also it is multipy choice so you can do process of elimination. When answers are close I looked more at diagnosis. Remember all the answer are in the books. My hardest thing was forgetting Medicare and Medicaid rules. :eek:

shayking

I just took it on the 6 of december and I think if it was not for the review they have you to do before the test I probably would have panic. My best advance is do a 12 hour review before the test.

I took the test Dec 06, time is my enemy, I took too long on some areas that I am not familiar with. I will have to take it again. Pace yourself. Do the easy stuff first. It is multiple choice, which certainly helps. You do have OP notes, and some are lengthy, take a highlighter, mark your key words in the OP report, so you don't have to re-read. It really is a process of elimination. Modifiers and ICD-9 certainly come in to play. You don't have to have a perfect score. You just have to pass.

CPC Exam

I took the CPC exam in May and passed! The only advise I can give is pay attention to the sequences of the codes they get tricky. Have confidence in yourself. Remember you know how to do it just stay calm and take your time! Good luck!

:confused: I took the test too on dec 6, 2008, I'm confused was told today that there not allow to tell what percert in each section you need to pass,I am now confused what does it take to pass, good luck to you
I took the test Dec 06, time is my enemy, I took too long on some areas that I am not familiar with. I will have to take it again. Pace yourself. Do the easy stuff first. It is multiple choice, which certainly helps. You do have OP notes, and some are lengthy, take a highlighter, mark your key words in the OP report, so you don't have to re-read. It really is a process of elimination. Modifiers and ICD-9 certainly come in to play. You don't have to have a perfect score. You just have to pass.

Orando,

I just took my CPC-H in May, had my CPC for five years. What I did, and it really seemed to help me, was to go immediately to the sections I though were easiest, such as lab, HCPCS, radiology, diagnosis, things that had one answer choices, not mulitple parts per answer. Then I did the next sections I thought would take little research or work for the answers. Then saved what I thought would be my hardest areas for last. It wound up giving me more time in the harder areas and let me gain some confidence in the beginning. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Machelle,
CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

Last edited:
I took the exam last December and have heard the test format is a little different and you have more time now. But when I took it, I started from the beginning and answered every question not spending extended lengths of time on questions I wasn't sure of. I didn't second guess myself on questions I felt were right and marked any questions that I definitley need to go back too if I had time. If you answer a question you at least have a chance at getting it right where as if you don't answer it and run out of time you have no shot. Mark out any answers that obviously aren't correct to eliminate options. I identified what I felt was the correct CPT code and marked out the other options and the focused on the IDC-9 codes that were differing between the remaining choices. Stay calm, stay focused, work at a steady pace, and don't think about the time constraints. When I completed the test, I had 35 minutes left to go back over the ones I wasn't sure of. If you have prepared for the test, I'm sure you'll do fine. Good Luck!!:)

Good Luck!!! I have had my cert for a few years now, but I also done the easy ones first, then I done the hard ones one section at a time because if you fail one section you are done.
1xx
x1x
xx1
1xx
x1x
xx1
And I used the process of elimination... cross off the ones I knew were wrong.
Not to say I wasn't crying when I walked out though.
Take a deep breath and relax.

It worked.... Good Luck again.

Taking the CPC

I took the CPC on 11/30 & did not pass. I would like to add however, that when my results were posted on the web site under my events, all you I could see was "FAIL", but then I recieved a notice in the mail from the AAPC letting me know which areas I need improvement on.

I passed two sections and failed the Lab/Pathology including the E/M section. Reason being, this was the last section I decided to take. I did all the easy one's first & then saved this section for last realizing now that by the time I got to this section I was very tired and was pressed for time. I bubbled in the last question 5 minutes before the proctor said "Ok Pencils down" So wish me luck on my re-take and "Good Luck" to all of those out there whom are taking the test for the first time :)