Wiki Tarsal Tunnel Injections, a nightmare

Barbs63

Networker
Best answers
As an orthopaedic office, we do our share of injections, especially tarsal tunnel injections. Since there is no code, we are using the unlisted 28899 and comparing it
to a carpal tunnel injection - (20526) along with office notes and special note in block 19. Still we are receiving denials. The carriers especially Highmark Blue Shield (Pennsylvania) bundles it as a major procedure. I was wondering how other offices are reporting this code and the outcome they have encountered with carriers.
I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

I will admit up front that my foot doc has not performed a TT injection so I have no actual experience with this situation, but I can tell you from coding ortho surgeries for 6+ years that BX, AETNA and UHC are well known for not being "up to date". One physician even let me know that one of these three intentionally ignored patient studies that showed the efficacy of a specific mainstream orthopedic procedure so they could continue denying it. In other words, I don't think the issue lies with your coding.