Wiki Tavr - I am researching TAVR

kskiles

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am researching TAVR (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement) procedure and billing for the heart team. Once the TAVR is started and a situation arises that this procedure has to go to open aortc valve replacement to save patients life, how does physician bill for this (or can they bill for this?) The reason I am asking is because this procedure is for patients who are not eligible for open aortic surgery and there is a heart team that is effected. Or does anyone have any suggestions on where to look to get this information? Thanks for any help on this matter!!!:confused:

we never had this situation arise but conleyclan is right, if it converts to open then you bill the open procedure and the interventional cardiologist won't get paid.

If dictation is correct to bill an assist, can you not bill the cardiologist as an assist? (that is of course if the cardiologist assisted).

that could be possible but the cardiologist wouldn't assist a surgeon during an open surgery. yes, 33405 can be billed with an assist (modifier 80) but we all know that the cardiologist cannot help at all during that procedure. only another surgeon would qualify to assist

Cardiothoracic coder

TAVR procedures are from 33361 to 33369 and two co-surgeon are needed therefore you add modifier 62

Also, this is a clinical trial so add box 19

p4|01737528

Last edited: