Wiki Taxonomy Code question

sbperry

New
Best answers
Has anyone seen a different / higher level of reimbursement when billing out a different taxonomy code? For example if we billed total joints out using the adult reconstructive orthopedic surgery taxonomy code - would that get us a higher reimbursement than billing our general orthopedic taxonomy code?

Has anyone seen a different / higher level of reimbursement when billing out a different taxonomy code? For example if we billed total joints out using the adult reconstructive orthopedic surgery taxonomy code - would that get us a higher reimbursement than billing our general orthopedic taxonomy code?
In my 20+ years working in billing and coding I've never encountered any payer that used taxonomy codes as a factor in payment calculations. You'd need to look at your provider's contracts with the payers to know for sure, but I would be very surprised if putting a different taxonomy on the claim would make any difference in your reimbursement.

In my 20+ years working in billing and coding I've never encountered any payer that used taxonomy codes as a factor in payment calculations. You'd need to look at your provider's contracts with the payers to know for sure, but I would be very surprised if putting a different taxonomy on the claim would make any difference in your reimbursement.
Thomas that has been my experience as well. My office manager is stating that MGMA says different. I have not been able to find anything to say it will increase reimbursement but am needing so back up on my end. Thank you for responding!

Thomas that has been my experience as well. My office manager is stating that MGMA says different. I have not been able to find anything to say it will increase reimbursement but am needing so back up on my end. Thank you for responding!
It's possible that the MGMA is saying that the taxonomy will figure in the rates that are allowed to the provider during contract negotiation. I don't know though - I would ask your manager to see the source information from the MGMA for clarification. Once a contract is in place, though, the rates are usually set in stone. Unless the contract specifies that your provider has a different set of rates for their different taxonomy codes, it's not going to change anything. And honestly, I don't think most payers' claims systems even have the programming capability to implement different rates for different taxonomies.

For private payors (not Medicare/Medicaid), this will 100% depend on your contract. I work for a large healthcare organization that does have several unique contracts with various carriers. There are at least 3 different fee schedules depending on the specialty of the provider, although we all bill under the same TID.