Wiki Teaching Physicians supervising residents of another specialty

lverellen

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone have any links to documentation that states that a Teaching Physician can or cannot supervise a resident in another specialty. I understand that there is a qualification issue, but I need something that states that they either can do this or can't. I have searched for hours now and cannot find anything concrete on this requirement.

This is an interesting scenario. Exactly how different are the "specialties?" Are we talking a general surgeon attending supervising a vascular surgeon resident or are these way off?

I'm curious, because to a large extent, I'm not aware of any guidance on this matter--that's not to say it isn't out there, just outside my awareness.

Kevin,
It applies to a Neurosurgeon supervising residents in other specialties (i.e. ortho). I cannot find any guidance that suggests that there is an issue with this. The only thing that I do know that the supervising physcian must be able to perform whatever procedure/service that the resident is performing under his direct supervision. I had some documentation that stated this at my former job, however it has come up at my new job and I cannot find the source document. :(