Wiki Tee coding

lcole7465

Expert
Best answers
I was asked today about TEE coding and they stated that there is different coding depending on whether the provider is certified or not. I've never heard of this... I'm in Ohio and the billing company is in another state. I have looked through the CPT book and CMS and have not been able to find anything on this.

Thanks

Tee Coding

Well, TEE coding is dependent on what the anesthesiologist actually did first of all.

Did they just put in the probe for monitoring (93313) or did they perform a diagnostic TEE (93312) that will actually help diagnose problems when done in conjunction with a heart surgery?

Secondly, if they did a diagnostic TEE, they are required to be specially "trained" to be able to bill it. Not every anesthesiologist can perform a diagnostic TEE. So, there isn't actually a code that says "I'm certified to do a TEE"....The code is what the code is, and in order to bill it you have to have that education that says you can perform the service.. So, you have to know whether or not if your anesthesiologist is specifically trained in TEEs, and then you bill out what they did.

Also, if they do a diagnostic TEE, there has to be a separate diagnostic report dictated with their findings.

Hope that helps!