Wiki Telehealth billing to Medicare

mtsoldevila

Networker
Best answers
I looked in cms.gov and cant find an exact answer. How do I bill telehealth? I know that place of service is 02, but what would be the location? After reading in cms.gov I understood that it should be 11. Is the location mandatory for telehealth billing?

Actually, during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE), you bill the place of service that your provider normally bills. So, if they normally bill office, you bill POS 11. That way you get paid the office fee which includes the practice expense. This is because CMS is not paying an originating site, so they pay the provider the full fee, including practice expense. If you bill using POS 02, you will be paid the Facility fee, which does not have the practice expense and is a lower rate. There is a blog in the knowledgebase on this topic, with a title referring to Modifier 95. And BTW, you also need a modifier 95, to tell CMS that the service is telehealth, since you are using the normal POS. And you use the address of your doctor’s normal billing location in box 32, which if your doctor normally works from an office, it would be the office address. You use POS 11 and the doctor’s office address, even if the telehealth is performed from the provider’s home.

Actually, during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE), you bill the place of service that your provider normally bills. So, if they normally bill office, you bill POS 11. That way you get paid the office fee which includes the practice expense. This is because CMS is not paying an originating site, so they pay the provider the full fee, including practice expense. If you bill using POS 02, you will be paid the Facility fee, which does not have the practice expense and is a lower rate. There is a blog in the knowledgebase on this topic, with a title referring to Modifier 95. And BTW, you also need a modifier 95, to tell CMS that the service is telehealth, since you are using the normal POS. And you use the address of your doctor’s normal billing location in box 32, which if your doctor normally works from an office, it would be the office address. You use POS 11 and the doctor’s office address, even if the telehealth is performed from the provider’s home.
OMG thank you. this was so helpful

CMS has put out a comprehensive FAQ document (128 pages) and you can find information about Telehealth among other information in the FAQ, including great guidance on the CS modifier and Hospital without walls, etc. This is where you can go to find it "in writing". The FAQ was just updated on June 19, 2020.

Check it out at: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjP74XiyZ3qAhVWhXIEHb59Dl8QFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https://www.cms.gov/files/document/03092020-covid-19-faqs-508.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0A__yAPbGGGAw_zJeF2cft