Wiki Telehealth Place of service

nikki_coder

Networker
Best answers
Can someone clarify what place of service (02 or 10) you should use if the patient is seen via telehealth, but they are not physically located in their home? They may be at their work, in their car, etc.

Hi there, that would be place of service 02 (Telehealth provided other than in patient's home. Patient is not located in their home when receiving health services or health related services through telecommunication technology.)

Hi there, that would be place of service 02 (Telehealth provided other than in patient's home. Patient is not located in their home when receiving health services or health related services through telecommunication technology.)
I disagree. My MAC (NGS) came out with this fact sheet recently stating:
"If the patient receives the telehealth service from a location that is not a facility they would normally receive care, such as their car or work, then POS 10 would be appropriate based on this description provided by CMS in the final rule."
In my opinion, their descriptions of 02 & 10 are very misleading. I believe the intent is 02 is when a patient is in a facility where they would receive healthcare. 10 would be when a patient is located other than a hospital/facility where they would receive care (with home simply being an example). The problem is that CMS defines home as "a location other than a hospital or other facility where the patient receives care in a private residence." All other English speaking people would define their home as "where I live/reside."
NGS specifically states patient in their car or work is POS 10 giving the CMS final rule as their reference. Sure, I'll just read all 2709 awkwardly worded pages in my spare time.
My organization is still trying to figure out how we can set up our system properly for these claims. :oops: