Wiki Telehealth question

cmmfeyen

Contributor
Best answers
My providers are adding Dx Y93.C9 to their telehealth documentation/charts. I haven't seen that this is necessary, and in fact I don't believe it's appropriate, unless the patient was actually using the phone/computer/tablet when they came down with the issue. Anyone else seeing this????

You are correct, that is incorrect usage of the code. Codes in the V-Y range are "external causes of morbidity codes" which, per the ICD-10 guidelines, "are intended to provide data for injury research" and are for reporting the cause, intent, activity and location where the injury took place. Y93.C9 falls under the 'activity' category, so would be reported to describe the activity taking place when the injury (or other condition) that is under evaluation happened. I have not seen this, but the organizations where I've worked have never added external cause codes to encounters unless a specific injury code has been reported first.

I wonder who came up with that idea? I wonder if they think that code somehow applies to the use of a telemedicine visit? The providers need to know that you add the 95 modifier, assuming they're using the 992xx codes, to show they were telemedicine visits.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

I wonder who came up with that idea? I wonder if they think that code somehow applies to the use of a telemedicine visit? The providers need to know that you add the 95 modifier, assuming they're using the 992xx codes, to show they were telemedicine visits.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC
I think that's exactly why they're adding it - they think it represents "telehealth" activity. Thank you both for your responses - now I can go back to them and "have back-up"