Wiki Telehealth

courtneyb

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone know where I can get information on billing telehealth services? Our psychiatrist want's to start billing for this and is asking me to do the research for him. My understanding is that he will be working with other psychiatrists to help with assiting thier patients. I was thinking that code 90885-90889 with a GT modifier would work but I wasn't sure if we could bill those or if they would be paid. If anyone has any information or any good resources I could bring to him please let me know :)

Does anyone know where I can get information on billing telehealth services? Our psychiatrist want's to start billing for this and is asking me to do the research for him. My understanding is that he will be working with other psychiatrists to help with assiting thier patients. I was thinking that code 90885-90889 with a GT modifier would work but I wasn't sure if we could bill those or if they would be paid. If anyone has any information or any good resources I could bring to him please let me know :)
CMS website is the best place to find the info. They have a whole section on telehealth and are frequently updating with information on added services allowed and requirements to bill correctly (main policy) and updates via memorandums. Hot topic right now. Main thing to know is that Medicare will pay if the patient is in.... cant think of right word at the moment.. but an underserved area- as the transmitting location. Unless something has changed on that recently but I doubt it has, so you need to look into where the patients are located, and whether it is considered and underserved area. That will be in your basic Telehealth policy. There are rules for both the transmitting location and receiving location/ providers. I recommend you check both CMS website and your local carrier website, your local Medicaid and BCBS carrier.... I know they pay, and think most carriers are getting on board but their billing requirements may be different. And some may not pay, would have to be a phone call for each patient to find out in that case. good luck!