Wiki Telemedicine Help

afryberger

Networker
Best answers
I have never had this scenario before and looking for guidance. Notes are below. I was looking at G0508. The provider is at another hospital meeting with patient and staff via telehealth to give help to the team. The provider that is giving the advice wants to bill 99291.

Interval history:

Date of service November 13, 2023

The telemedicine service was conducted using an interactive audio and video telecommunication system. Telemedicine was utilized due to (i) the distance between the referring and consulting provider and (ii) the ability to provide quality care through the telemedicine service where a face to face provider- patient encounter was not required.

Consent obtained from the patient

Patient currently at Hospital A ICU

The service was provided from the Hospital B ICU conference room

Dr A-hospitalist physician, Respiratory therapist and nursing staff available during the tele health visit.

Patient is critically in the ICU with respiratory failure

Patient has been on continue CPAP 10 cm since yesterday

ABGs done yesterday showed pH 7.36/32/95/17.9/97% on CPAP 10 cm, 80% FiO2

Not much information could be obtained from the patient due to being in COVID isolation room and being on continuous CPAP

BUN creatinine today 86/2.1

Hemoglobin 7.6

Code status DNR DNI

Discussed with Dr A-hospitalist physician, Respiratory therapist and nursing staff available during the tele health visit.

Critical care time spent 32 minutes

Hi there, could you clarify whether the consulting provider saw the patient via telehealth, or did they just speak with the care team?

Hi there, could you clarify whether the consulting provider saw the patient via telehealth, or did they just speak with the care team?
He only spoke with this team at another hospital.
I was looking at this:

G0508
This code represents an initial critical care consultation, typically lasting 60 minutes, that a provider renders using a telecommunication method such as the telephone or a web teleconference. The consultation may be with the patient or with another provider regarding a patient.

He only spoke with this team at another hospital.
I was looking at this:

G0508
This code represents an initial critical care consultation, typically lasting 60 minutes, that a provider renders using a telecommunication method such as the telephone or a web teleconference. The consultation may be with the patient or with another provider regarding a patient.
Right, the requirements for an E/M visit still apply even if it is done by telehealth. The G code looks appropriate.