Wiki Telemedicine

574coding

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
Does anyone have a nice resource on telemedicine? We have a provider that is interested, but we need to figure out if we can provide this service per the guidelines.
Thank you!

Hi,
Does anyone have a nice resource on telemedicine? We have a provider that is interested, but we need to figure out if we can provide this service per the guidelines.
Thank you!
I have several Mental Health Providers who want to do this. I have had to look up under each insurance company for the policy.

Provider's have to adopt a HIPAA compliant platform (there are several out there, just Google HIPAA compliant video conferencing software or apps). The payers that are now globally accepting TeleHealth claims for payment with modifier GT and POS=02 are Anthem, Magellan, UBH, Cigna and probably several others. But I also make sure each patient's plan does include this service is covered.

Does telebehavioral health need to have video conferencing, or can it be billed through just as a phone call? I'm not finding any information that tells me it has to be a video conference, or if a phone call is good enough.

Does telebehavioral health need to have video conferencing, or can it be billed through just as a phone call? I'm not finding any information that tells me it has to be a video conference, or if a phone call is good enough.
Depends - telephone services do not, it goes by minutes talking to the patient on the phone (cpt page 39). telemedicine service do have to have audio and video to bill the service. explanation on page 869 of cpt book.