Wiki Telephone pre-op

Best answers
Hello,
I was wondering if this was able to be billed. The patient hasn't been seen in a month and their surgery was three days after the phone call. The documentation is a complete pre-op appointment, which we would typically charge for. The only thing is no physical exam due to it being a phone conversation. The note also states that it took approximately 30 minutes.

I was looking at 99441-99443 and 98966-98968. I don't know which would be more appropriate or if there's something else I'm not seeing.

Help!!!!

Did the patient initiate this call? It does not sound like it.. and the call resulted in the patient coming in for surgery so that would make it not billable. Remember the patient must be the one that initiates the call, not the office calling the patient. If the call results in the patient being seen at the soonest available time it is not billable. In this case the call resulted in the patient coming in for the surgery within 3days.

Thank you! There were so many different factors that played in. We usually charge for pre-ops, but the descriptions that I was looking through in my CPT book made it seem like we couldn't bill for it. I just didn't want to assume, I like checking with other people first :)