Wiki telestroke

vcar

Networker
Best answers
Our organization doesn't have a full time Stroke physician. We are looking to use a Chicago based Neurologist to provide telehealth services provided in our urban ED. The Chicago based provider wants us to credential and bill for his professional telehealth portion. We are also billing for the originating ED facility charge. Both would be billed under the same TID# and same location. I know this isn't an issue under the current pandemic waivers but what about after those are lifted? Can you bill both the remote and originating under the same TID and location?
Thanks

After the waiver is lifted, if your originating site qualifies as being in a health professional shortage area, you can continue to bill the telehealth services - there is no issue with the originating and remote providers being under the same tax ID. Here's Medicare publication on telehealth - it's a good starting point with a lot of link and should answer most of your questions. The requirements to qualify as an originating site are listed on page 4:

Yes the facility is in a shortage area so that won't be an issue. I just wasn't sure about the remote physician billing since the credentialed/reporting address for the physician would be the exact same address as the facility. My thought was, on the bill it would look as the physician was at the facility. Why the need for telehealth? Opening up the possibility for carriers to deny because the physician could just go to the ED and treat the patient. Maybe I'm overthinking.
Thanks Thomas.

You will have two different claims. The first claim is the facility where the patient is located. Box 32 will have your address (assuming you work at the facility). The second claim is for where the physician is located. Box 32 of the HCFA will have his address (wherever he is working from). Box 33 will be the same for both claims.

You will have two different claims. The first claim is the facility where the patient is located. Box 32 will have your address (assuming you work at the facility). The second claim is for where the physician is located. Box 32 of the HCFA will have his address (wherever he is working from). Box 33 will be the same for both claims.
My concern is the facility claim (box 32) will have address 123 Any Street Anywhere IN 00000 and the physician location address (box 32) will also have 123 Any Street Anywhere IN 00000 (due to address set up by credentialing) even though he will physically be in Chicago. Appearing both are in the exact same location.
Thanks