Here are some resources to help you out on urology coding:
1. The AUA website has a lengthy Coding and Reimbursement section of Q & A's and you do not need a username/password. Check out www.auanet.org
. It is awesome!
2. The Coding Institute has a "Urology Coding Alert" newsletter that is also fantastic. After you subscribe to the newsletter you can search all the Urology newsletters published for coding information. There have been a couple on 64561. Check out www.codinginstitute.com
3. DecisionCoder website, soon to be changed over to CustomCoder, is another terrific coding resource with their "Coach" Q & A section. Check out www.DecisionCoder.com
and get a trial subscription.
4. Medtronic, the manufacturer of the Interstim leads/electrodes, has a reimbursement section on their website as well. Check out www.medtronic.com
(I'm working from memory here, I think that is the website address, if not, google it).
Can you tell I've been down your road before on this topic!!
5. I have found that the insurance carriers differ on this topic. I feel that 64561 should be reported once because the narrative description states "electrodes"--plural, but the surgeon insists we bill each unit. So, we report 64561-RT and 64561-59, LT (mod 59 to show a separate site/location). Some pay, some will not pay the units.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Denise Stanton, CPC, CCP-P