Wiki tests for comparison

NEOSM507

Best answers
Good morning,

Can an xray performed for comparison purposes be reported? Or can an an EMG performed on the contralateral side for comparison purposes be billed?

Thank you

X-rays performed for comparison cannot be billed. There is no medical necessity. I'm sure the physician gets something out of it and is beneficial. Also, would you expect insurance to pay for an X-ray taken on the right knee, but the diagnosis code linked to it is pain of the left knee? Not congruent.

our drs. do a lot of comparison xrays, we would bill both for both LT and RT with comparison DX code? So you should not bill like this?

Interesting. Again, there is no medical necessity and the comparison joint is not being treated. I'm not saying not to take them, but there is no medical necessity to have them billed.

Gotcah, I had never done comparison coding until i got to this company- So i am curious on if they get paid on them. I will have to wait and see.
thanks for the input

Gotcah, I had never done comparison coding until i got to this company- So i am curious on if they get paid on them. I will have to wait and see.
thanks for the input
It's not a matter of if the insurance pays with the code Z01.89 or not. That diagnosis code communicates to the insurance company that the joint that is being x-rayed is receiving medical treatment. And its not. Your clinic could be paying back the insurance companies with fines added.

Last edited: