Wiki The Sad Hunt as a CPC-A

I had the opposite experience. I worked in health insurance from 2013-2018, and then worked in workers comp from 2018 into early 2019. Ive run the gamut on positions; authorizations, medical reviews, provider services, claims. I got my first “coding” job, which was a hybrid coder, biller, and A/R rep for a small company in September 2019. At the time I interviewed I don’t even think I’d scheduled my exam yet. I passed my exam in October of 2019, left that small company this year and now work strictly as a coder/biller (coders click the button to batch the claim) for a medium sized dermatology practice.

Its truly in how you sell yourself. You have to be confident that the skills you’ve taken from other jobs can transfer, and you have to be able to talk about it in an interview.

I read somewhere, I believe on LinkedIn, about how when women read a job ad, if we don’t meet every qualification we won’t apply, whereas if men see 3-4 things on a list of 20 requirements they will send their resume. Just send in your resume! The worst thing that could happen is they ignore you, but that’s ok because you’re going to keep applying till you get a position you want.

Well I'm happy for you but my situation involved a small window of time when my disability would still allow me to work. My times up so I'm done working.
I'm closing my account so won't be around here anymore.

I am a cpc-a and can't find anything. I have been a business owner for 20 years and have the work ethic but can't find anyone to take a chance on me.

I wish you all the best. Keep knocking.
I am a CPC-A as well. I got my cert aug, 2020. What I did was send out 100 resumes. answered every. single spam calls.
Then there was an FQHC whose biller just quit and they didn't want to go back to the billing company.
They offered me to work a full-time position as a biller, deducting $2/hr from what I suggested. I compromised and accepted the job.
It's been one full year, they are giving me all benefits such as medical/dental, 401k, and raised $4/hr. They don't want me going away
and are giving me pocket money every once in a while lol.

I am planning to leave for another state and look for a coder job there next year, as my resume has that damn experience.

Keep trying, and be positive!

I got my CPC-A back in 2010 and was given the break of coding for a GI Doctor after interviewing for a receptionist position for that office. Was laid off a year later and took a hospital scheduling position but moved on due to many changes in that department. Took a temporary Maternity Billing position and then was hired as a Medical Auditor (but that didn't work out). Took quite a few temp and part time positions. Now I'm a DME biller for Medicare and Medicaid (have my CPB certification since 2017) and it's not just billing. It's sending out CMN's, LMN's, EPSDT forms, asking for clinic notes for Medicaid PA's and sending in those PA's along with doing Medicare Redeterminations. I didn't see myself doing something like this when it first started out, but it took years to get where I am now.

I became certified in 2009 with no medical experience at all. At the time I was taking my CPC classes, I interned at a medical office, where the manager was a CPC for over 20 years, so she knew what was needed. I learned about reading medical charts, how to review for coding, etc. My first job after certification was as a medical biller for a billing company. After six months, I was able to transition into a coding position. After about a year, I was also offered a job at another company that does billing/coding for local providers because the person that trained me at the first company recommended me. Medical billing companies will be willing to hire you as a biller, but as a coder, no. This field is very demanding and is not something that a person off the street can do because there's so much to know and learn. Each specialty has its own nuances and they take time to learn. I haven't coded in about seven years because I went into a leadership role on the front end, but I still used my coding knowledge to deal with authorizations, payments, and denials. All of that to say - if you can afford it, take a position in healthcare such as a receptionist or a Patient Access Rep. Get your foot in the door and work toward getting into a coding position. I know that the hospital I work for, they test you the day you interview for a coding position, so you definitely need experience because what's on the AAPC test is structured differently.

I got my CPC-A back in 2010 and was given the break of coding for a GI Doctor after interviewing for a receptionist position for that office. Was laid off a year later and took a hospital scheduling position but moved on due to many changes in that department. Took a temporary Maternity Billing position and then was hired as a Medical Auditor (but that didn't work out). Took quite a few temp and part time positions. Now I'm a DME biller for Medicare and Medicaid (have my CPB certification since 2017) and it's not just billing. It's sending out CMN's, LMN's, EPSDT forms, asking for clinic notes for Medicaid PA's and sending in those PA's along with doing Medicare Redeterminations. I didn't see myself doing something like this when it first started out, but it took years to get where I am now.
Hello! I'm new to DME billing and just got a job doing so. Are/is there any tips/advice that you can give? I bill Louisiana Medicare/Medicaid also. Thank you! -Valeria

I just got my Associate's coding degree in December and I became certified just this month in February. The vibe I'm getting is that it is all meaningless without actual coding experience.
Anything I find wants 2-5 years coding/billing experience or is an entry level receptionist type job that pays less than my current non-healthcare job. Is that a sacrifice I will have to make just to get an in with the medical industry and hope to maybe move up? I am utilizing as many networking resources as I can and it seems like PractiCode is a good first step for a CPC-A, but I feel like it doesn't even matter if you have apprentice status or not until you have actual on-the-job experience. Please tell me there is some hope to just keep applying and searching.
Trust me, I understand. People who have been coding for a while get extremely upset when we voice our frustrations on not being able to find a job coding with no on the job experience. We all have to start somewhere! I got certified May 2022. It took me 2.5 months to find a job as a medical biller at an optometry practice. I had zero medical or office experience; I worked as an aesthetician for 17 years. Planned on working there for a year and asking for "the one year working with codes letter" to drop my A. Sadly, I'm out now because I need carpal tunnel surgery and the job fired me after finding out I was trying for worker's comp! My friend did the AAPC course, passed CPC test, did practicode, and got a job right away! I'll probably consider practicode after surgery. Definitely not giving up now! Hope this helped in some small way.