Wiki The use of A or D after a code

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hi,

Can anyone tell me when to us A of D after a medical code?

I have been told you use the A until the injury is resolved and then you use a D or do you use the A for the first visit and D for any visit after that?

A = Initial Visit
D = Subsequent Visit

Thankk you,

LLR

The guidelines for the use of these 7th characters can be found in your ICD-10 book in the Chapter 19 specific guidelines. I've copied the definitions below for your reference. There have also been many articles published discussing the appropriate use of these - if you do a search on this site and others you'll find many examples and better guidance that we can give you here. But the short answer to your question is that these codes are not based on whether it is the initial or subsequent visit, but on the phase of treatment of the injury which the patient is receiving at the encounter being coded.

7th character “A”, initial encounter is used for each encounter where the patient is receiving active treatment for the condition.

7th character “D” subsequent encounter is used for encounters after the patient has completed active treatment of the condition and is receiving routine care for the condition during the healing or recovery phase.

I work in orthopedics and many patients are treated operatively either in the OR or via fracture care. We use "A" for any visits or treatment before the patient has surgery and D after the patient has surgery since at that point the patient is just being followed.