Wiki Therapeutic scuba diving for PTSD

MEZIESKY

Guru
Best answers
Ok just throwing this out there. I have a friend that is trying to help a scuba shop set up a program for PTSD patient to take scuba lessons. They have several patient lined up with referrals. . They mostly have TriCare and I think one has BCBS . She is looking to see what CPT code would best apply..
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I don't believe any payer would credential a 'scuba shop' as a provider that would be eligible to submit medical claims. They might be able to work together with a licensed therapist of some type (e.g. occupational therapist, clinical psychologist) and possibly get this incorporated as a component of a treatment program if a physician actually ordered this for the patient and a licensed medical provider supervised and evaluated the treatment. But a scuba shop as a separate entity is not going to be able to submit claims to medical payers and I would not even try to find a CPT code, let alone submit a claim for this as it's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
They do have a complete staff of qualified therapist. occupational and phycologist. They are retired Green Berets and Navy Seals on staff that have benefited from scuba diving as therapy. I'm just trying to help out a friend. They have a complete staff of qualified individuals and they have a NPI number. This is not just a scuba shop trying to get money for insurance companies. This is a legit treatment and they are mostly veterans that have benefited from diving.

THank you for you input Thomas. Guess I need more info.

Last edited: