Wiki Thoracic Aortic Bifemoral bypass

rufus

Networker
Best answers
HELP!!!! My physician did a Thoracic aortic bifemoral bypass. I don't find a code for a thoraco aorta bifemoral. Help is appreciated. Thanks

I think "thoracic" just refers to the area; the chest is the thoracic area. What about either 35540 or 35646, depending if done with vein or other than vein.

That is what I said but the doc told me this was more extensive and at the top of the aorta not the bottom and required a longer anastomosis????????:confused:

He also did a bilateral aorta-renal bypass and a aorta-mesentaric bypass.

So could you consider a 22 since he states it was more extensive (just need to make sure he's documented why it was extensive within the report)? I'm not sure there is a specific code to capture that.

33531 or 35631 for the aorta-mesenteric, possibly? I have never had to code one of those but I don't see a code selection for the aorta-renal bypass. You may be able to find out how to code those by doing some more research.

Do you have a Dr. Z Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery coding book? If not, it is GOLD! Expensive but worth the investment if your employer is willing or you can pay OOP and possibly use as tax write off.

HTH